[Freeswitch-users] Distorted sound for one of conference members when AMR-WB codec used

Rafał Telaczyński rafal.telaczynski at jtendo.com
Fri Sep 25 11:40:55 UTC 2020

Hi All,

We are using FreeSWITCH to put 2 members on a conference and record it.
The problem is that when AMR-WB codec is used, the second member to join
the conference hears distorted sound(sometimes it lasts couple seconds,
in some cases it lasts until the end of the call). There is no such
sound heard by first member participant, nor is it generated by
it(verified by decoding audio from RTP packets sent from first member
participant towards FreeSWITCH). Moreover, distorted sound to second
member can be heard after decoding RTP packets sent from FreeSWITCH
towards second conference participant - proof that it is not the issue
with second participant phone or so.
Intrestingly, there is no such issue when AMR codec is used(tested by
removing AMR-WB from global_codec_prefs) - the sound is clear for both
participant throughout the whole duration of the conference.

Considering that everything is OK with AMR codec used, it seems like the
issue is not with conference itself, only using AMR-WB during
conference. We tested with some of the FreeSWITCH parameters related to
RTP(e.g. auto-rtp-bugs, rtp-rewrite-timestamps, send_silence_when_idle,
etc.) but it did not help.
Is it known issue? Did anyone faced something similar before? What else
can be done to make it work? Please, let me know if you have any
questions regarding the topic/need more info from my side.

Thanks, Rafal