[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH-users Digest, Vol 171, Issue 7

Tazari, Mohammad Reza saied.tazari at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 09:32:29 UTC 2020

Tom,

first: I hope that you noticed that in my latest email, I reported that
I am still not able to make use of mod_portaudio; so the instructions I
provided on Aug 26 helped to have some progress on my side, but they
have not been sufficient...

Now, you said: you "just need to be in the proper group"; I would just
add the importance of the proper user to this statement, as well.

The page
https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Debian+Post-Install+Tasks
suggests a systemd unit file for FS that includes the directive
"User=root". But, there is also the comment saying that FS starts "as
root, so Freeswitch can set its priority, create some directories if
needed, etc. Then it _*will drop privileges to continue running as user
and group Freeswitch*_."

Are you using that same unit file? If so, then the following part of my
instructions will be essential for the success:
*sudo adduser freeswitch audio
sudo adduser ***freeswitch *bluetooth*

Otherwise, you must find out as which user the FS is eventually running
in your system and then run the above two commands for that user.

I gave up using the jack because it is only for output, but in my
application I need both input and output. In the beginning that I didn't
know this and was hoping to use the jack for my application, I used the
amixer command few times, but I am not very familiar with this command,
nor with alsamixer.

 From what I have understood so far:

  * aplay -l and arecord -l will show only your audio devices on sound
    cards of type hardware (I think that /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf is
    somehow involved in this)
  * aplay -L and arecord -L will also show additional devices defined in
    /etc/asound.conf and the current user's ~/.asoundrc (such as virtual
    devices and real devices on virtual sound cards)
  * mod_portaudio has been only able to see my real devices via bluealsa
    which acts as a kind of virtual sound card, nothing else!!! This is
    very strange to me and I haven't found any explanation for that....

Kind regards,

-- Saied