[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch CPU consumption on AWS EC2

ziv at ip-com.co.il ziv at ip-com.co.il
Sun Oct 11 10:27:12 UTC 2020

Hi,

We run FreeSWITCH on Amazon AWS EC2, using the c5.xlarge machine size, meaning 4 CPUs with hyper-threading, sums up to 8 vCpu.

In time of high-traffic, the system is reaching 100% CPU at about 400 concurrent sessions, which is typically 200 calls (2 sessions per call).

RTP is sent as G-711. SIP signaling is this test is UDP (no TCP or other protocols).

These numbers are after reducing the log level and moving the core-dsn to memory.

The dialplan in this test is very simple.

ulimit values are as recommended in FreeSWITCH documentation.

On thread level, we see many threads that consume <1.5% CPU. Several threads consume more, apparently the signaling.

Question:

Do these numbers make sense? We expected to see much more traffic before the CPU is congested.

Are there simple tricks to reduce the CPU usage (as we did with changing the log level)

Is there a way to analyze the CPU consumption so we can try and improve?

Thanks