[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch does not start in Debian 9/10

Francesco Facco de Lagarda francesco at delagarda.com
Thu Jul 23 06:57:56 UTC 2020

Did you create Freeswitch service?

 cd /etc/systemd/system

nano freeswitch.service

; This file in installations built from Master can be found in
; /usr/src/freeswitch.git/debian
; or
; /usr/src/freeswitch/debian
[Unit]
Description=freeswitch
After=syslog.target network.target local-fs.target
[Service]
; service
Type=forking
PIDFile=/usr/local/freeswitch/run/freeswitch.pid
PermissionsStartOnly=true
; blank ExecStart= line flushes the list
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/local/freeswitch/bin/freeswitch -u freeswitch -g freeswitch -ncwait -nonat -rp
TimeoutSec=45s
Restart=on-failure
; exec
WorkingDirectory=/usr/local/freeswitch/bin
User=root
Group=daemon
LimitCORE=infinity
LimitNOFILE=100000
LimitNPROC=60000
;LimitSTACK=240
LimitRTPRIO=infinity
LimitRTTIME=7000000
IOSchedulingClass=realtime
IOSchedulingPriority=2
CPUSchedulingPolicy=rr
CPUSchedulingPriority=89
UMask=0007
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Next, notify systemd to look for changes in its configuration:
systemctl daemon-reload
Now you are ready to start FreeSWITCH for the first time. Because FS is owned by user freeswitch it should create its databases and log files under that user (instead of root) so that those files will still be accessible to it under future runs.
systemctl start freeswitch
To stop FreeSWITCH:
systemctl stop freeswitch

To configure FreeSWITCH to start automatically at boot time:
systemctl enable freeswitch

To be able to launch fs_cli without having to go to bin directory, add directory to path:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/freeswitch/bin/

Francesco Facco de Lagarda