[Freeswitch-users] t38_gateway hangs up non-deterministic with normal clearing

Roman Dissauer roman at dissauer.net
Fri Dec 6 00:23:23 UTC 2019

this is our topology:

customer pbx <-> kamailio + rtpengine <-> several FreeSWITCH Machines <-> kamailio <-> several interconnection carriers

what we have to address for inbound/outbound calls:
inbound call comes from any interconnection carrier which mostly does NOT have t.38 faxing what is no issue because we have reliable internet lines to our carriers. Our customers want to have t.38 faxing because of reliability of faxing over standard internet lines. So we have to transcode g.711a codec to t.38 in freeswitch. Same is true for outbound calls where customer pbxes send t.38 re-Invite but the upstream interconnection carrier does not accept t.38.

sometimes faxing is fine with this mechanism but mostly the fax is rejected by a „NORMAL CLEARING“ as soon as the re-Invite is coming in. FreeSWITCH is sending BYE to both call legs.

what we intend to do with our dialplan on an example - incoming calls

1. call is coming in via external profile with g.711a Codec
2. set refuse_t38=true sets t38 to be rejected coming from a-leg - external carrier
3. export fax_enable_t38=true will enable t38 both call legs
4. export nolocal:sip_execute_on_image=t38_image=t38_gateway self nocng will enable t38 only on b-leg - customer side
5. call is being bridged to kamailio where it gets routed to the customer

thank you!

best regards,
Roman