[Freeswitch-users] Deliberately adding delay to all calls

Erik M. Devane - Comms Guy emdevane at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 05:45:11 UTC 2018

I've been working on using FreeSWITCH as a bridge between different
devices, and I need to delay all calls by 2-3 seconds in order for the
external systems to keep up.

This delay should happen at the start of a call, and all subsequent audio
should sound fine, just late.
I know that doing this sounds silly - I'm sorry about that.

Here are my approaches:

1) Eavesdrop on a call send through delay_echo - this works for SIP clients
but I have to do an absolute_codec_string as it seems that CODEC support is
limited, and I'm often getting no delay at all with my PortAudio clients.

2) Use lua to do a session freeswitch.msleep on answer - exactly what
Confluence tells me to avoid - if I sleep but don't consume audio, I think
I can get the desired result.

3) Mess with the jitterbuffer - I haven't had any success with this yet.

4) Increase the buffer in mod_PortAudio.

Writing this out makes me sure that I'm missing something - a way of
getting delay_echo to work for all calls, or a way to pause session media
to get the desired effect.

Can you please help?