[Freeswitch-users] CPU for FS boxes. High freq.? or more cores? or more cache?

Adam Raszynski netcentrica at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 13:15:51 UTC 2018

Hi

I plan to buy some new servers to use as FreeSWITCH boxes

Servers mainly bridge calls and proxy media from A to B. No special
features, but they got a lot of traffic and customers require high quality
of calls.

What is the best practice in choosing CPU for FS boxes?

I see different options:

- high frequency (4GHz+) desktop CPU's like Intel i7 series

- medium frequency Xeons/Opterons, but with large cache

- low frequency Xeons/Opterons but with many cores

Unfortunately I can't find reasonably priced CPU's that will have both high
freq., many cores and large cache so need to pick what's the best

What is most important performance-wise for low latency, high quality media
bridging? More single core frequency? More cache? More cores?

Kind Regards