[Freeswitch-users] My 2 cents - online community

Fred Pettersson t90fpe at outlook.com
Thu Feb 22 16:33:59 UTC 2018

Look I don't wanna start a fire here and have full respect for the team behind FreeSWITCH.

It's 2018 right? I am talking about Evolution. Why doesn't the FreeSWITCH community have a more up to date online community board? I am talking about the mailing lists, why not use a tool to help the community a bit more and make it grow?

Today I think it's hard to get a view of all the questions/answers and the mailing list archive is not that user friendly. If people more easy can search/browse for answers then less questions will be generated. I don't see a big and viable community as FreeSWITCH deserves IMO and I am certain of getting a online community board will increase the community in that sense. This is one of the first things I look for when getting a new component or trying to find help. I am still a beginner of FreeSWITCH even though I've followed the project for years and I know a community board would help me and most likely others.

It's easy to scope/categorize the content of a community board and to allow certain discussions of possible configuration errors vs bugs etc, as a novice like my self I have a hard time to spot this and when I read answers like "bugs are not to discussed on the list - file a Jira". If you, like me, don't even know if this is a mistake by myself and get this kind of answer I really hesitate to ask.

All I want is the best for FreeSWITCH. What do you think?

/Fred