[Freeswitch-users] Announcing switchio and the friends-of-freeswitch group on Github

Tyler Goodlet tgoodlet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 17:06:23 UTC 2017

Hey Robert,

Indeed you're correct there are quite a few ESL client projects.
Most of them are detailed on the wiki:
https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/mod_event_socket#mod_event_socket-ExampleClients

>Are there any plans to have one built-in to FreeSWITCH?

There are a bunch already in the sources:
https://freeswitch.org/stash/projects/FS/repos/freeswitch/browse/scripts

Writing your own is a great exercise for sure but can be a lot of work to
get right.
After getting a protocol parser/handler working you have to deal with the
async programming aspect - picking a framework for it / wrapping it in a
sensible higher level API, etc.

>I bet that the whole community is likely coding their own ESL handlers or
at less I was

There's already a ton of mature projects for many languages (and frameworks
within each language) so I don't know if that would be true (anymore).
Currently the only place I've found that provides any kind of definitive
list is the wiki.
This is in fact the reason we've created the `friends-of-freeswitch` group
- to try and gather at least the smaller projects on GitHub (and their
authors) into one spot.

>Is switchio well supported?
By FreeSWITCH? Yes. The CI (which runs for each new change set) spawns the
latest FS docker image from the sources and switchio runs its full test
suite against it.
In fact, there are tests disabled in switchio due to bugs discovered in FS
/ ESL (which we should really report).

Hope that helps :)

Tyler Goodlet