[Freeswitch-users] OPUS Codec

Colin Morelli colin.morelli at gmail.com
Sat May 6 19:21:24 MSD 2017

Transcoding != resampling. Often times you will have to do both to convert
audio streams, where transcoding is the act of converting between the two
audio codecs' data format, and resampling is changing the sampling rate of
the audio (8khz in your case).  Opus is a completely different audio codec
than G.711. Even if they're both at 8 khz, you'll have to transcode between
the two, though you may be able to avoid the cost of resampling the audio
to a different rate.

Opus can handle sampling rates from 8khz-48khz. Sampling rates make a
*huge* difference
to audio quality (they'll effectively define the range of audio frequencies
you can capture). If you're running opus at a constant 8khz, the reason
G.722 sounds better is almost certainly because it's using a 16khz sampling
rate. Most likely if you run opus at 16khz, it'll sound similar to G.722.
If you have the capacity (and the devices support it), pushing opus to
super-wideband or full band (24khz/48khz sampling rates, respectively) will
yield much better audio quality.

My guess (admittedly it's just an educated assumption), is that most WebRTC
companies are using fullband opus in VBR mode simply because this is the
default in WebRTC. Without mangling the SDP, this is what you're going to
get.

Best,
Colin

>>> http://confluence.freeswitch.org