[Freeswitch-users] Dial Plan tidbit for a HOTLINE automatic dial

Sean Devoy sdevoy at bizfocused.com
Fri Jan 27 23:50:02 MSK 2017

I have never posted here with information, only enquiries. Based on a posting I made a few years ago, no one had a solution "A HOTLINE" that dials automatically.  Essentially, I learned FS gets no events for a phone going off hook so it is really a phone function not a switch function (on VOIP devices).  I have recently discovered a dial plan to achieve it. It may be obvious to many or have been posted here before, but I don't see it in any quick searches.

Cisco/Linksys phones and ATAs conform to the standards specified by MGCP and MEGACO.  I suspect most venders do, so, this is likely to work for most everyone.

There is a dial plan feature "<: xxx >" that allows you to insert additional digits when sent to the switch but not be required in the dial plan match.  Seven digit dialing in the U.S. is a good example. To insert 1 + area code (410 for example), use  "<:1410>[2-9]xxxxxx S0"  Note also the S0 which will send to the switch immediately if matched.

Extending that concept to somewhat of an extreme "S0 <:18005551212>" will dial that inserted number as soon as the phone is taken off hook,
Another option is to extend the timeout to allow the user to dial, but dial the hot line if the user does nothing. "S3 <:18005551212>"

I found it interesting and helpful.  Hope it helps someone else to0. If it is old news, sorry for wasting your time,

Sean