[Freeswitch-users] AWS Instance Recommendations

Colin Morelli colin.morelli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:43:51 MSK 2017

Hey list,

I'll start by saying I have read the warnings and recommendations to *not* run
FS on virtualized hardware. For right now, though, it's really the only
option for me. I don't anticipate nor will I expect the behavior to be the
same as what I would get on physical hosts, but would just like it to be as
consistent (and good) as possible given the constraints.

My question is - does anyone have particular kernel and instance type
recommendations for AWS? I'm getting relatively frequent jitter and what
seem like timing-related issues on calls, even in simple device <-> device
calls within FS (no external gateway involved). I'm currently running FS in
a Debian 8 docker container (with no memory or CPU limits) on a c4.large
Ubuntu 16.04 host (kernel 4.4.0-45, default 250hz timer). The particular
behavior I'm seeing *feels and sounds* like a few frames of silence,
followed up by the audio being sped up slightly for a second or two (almost
like it's trying to catch up), happening occasionally throughout calls.
Note that this is with one call, and ~5% CPU usage on the host. Thus I'm
pointing a finger most likely at kernel timer resolution. Running time_test
100 on FS returns an average of 200, which seems pretty bad.

I've heard people have better success with the Amazon Linux AMIs for their
packaged kernels. Is this true? Would recompiling the kernel with a 1000hz
timer help a lot here?

If you're having success on AWS, would be great to know what AMI you're
based off of, what kernel version (and timer), and instance size. Thanks in
advance.

Best,
Colin