[Freeswitch-users] Major change to macOS Xcode/CLT requirements

Mario mario_fs at mgtech.com
Tue Dec 12 19:24:16 UTC 2017

FYI for macOS folks running FreeSWITCH:

Homebrew made major changes in the last few weeks that affect the installation instructions for FreeSwitch on macOS. It also affects Homebrew update/upgrade functions. I updated 3 pages of the macOS wiki and the MacOS FreeSwitch Installer, macFI. A brief summary:

Homebrew always required the full Xcode instead of the standalone Apple Command Line Tools. That is now the opposite…

When Apple updated Xcode it didn’t always provide the correct version of CLT for the previous macOS. For instance, 10.13 and 10.12 use Xcode 9.2, but 9.2 may install the CLT for 10.13 on 10.12 meaning the CLT was for building 10.13 apps. Homebrew would detect this as a showstopper. This has happened a couple of times, and that’s why we sometimes had to use an older Xcode for a macOS that was not the latest to build FreeSwitch. This didn’t just affect FreeSwitch but some Homebrew formulas.

So…. The Homebrew folks decided to fix this once and for all: Now, when Homebrew is installed, it looks for the correct CLT. If the latest Xcode (9.2) is already installed on the latest macOS (10.13), nothing needs to happen because the CLT that is part of Xcode is already installed and correct. If Homebrew does not detect the CLT, it will locate them online, download and install the correct version for the macOS running!

The big benefit is that if you don’t need Xcode you will save about 4GB of space, and of course it takes a lot less time installing FreeSwitch from scratch.

Again, the wiki and macFI are updated, I tested them on 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, and 10.10.
Mario G