[Freeswitch-users] defunct processes created by bgsystem / system

Dave Horton daveh at beachdognet.com
Thu Aug 10 17:10:05 UTC 2017

After more testing, it looks like I was wrong about being able to recreate this when using the 'system' api.

It does happen when using the 'bgsystem' api, but from looking at the source code that basically appears to be by design.

A workaround that is satisfactory for my purposes was to enable 'threaded-system-exec' (in switch.conf.xml) which makes freeswitch run these commands in a new thread rather than forking/execing a new process.  Particularly for the use of 'bgsystem', this is more desirable since it negates the issue of defunct processes, and there is no parallel concerns with threads.

I have closed the associated JIRA.