[Freeswitch-users] mod_h323 and mod_opal

freeswitch.opencode at spamgourmet.com freeswitch.opencode at spamgourmet.com
Wed Nov 2 02:12:44 MSK 2016

I'm working on packaging FreeSWITCH (including all modules) for Arch Linux, and I'm trying to figure out how to handle mod_h323.

Following the pointers from src/mod/endpoints/mod_h323/compiling.txt, I see that it consumes code from this project:
http://www.h323plus.org/

However, that project appears to be inactive; it hasn't had a release for multiple years (and forum/mailing list activity has nearly ceased as well).

According to Wikipedia, the parent OpenH323 project (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenH323)  forked into H323Plus and Open Phone Abstraction Library (OPAL).

>From the FreeSWITCH documentation, it looks like mod_opal consumes the code from one fork and mod_h323 from the other. The documentation also currently says mod_opal is beta quality, but that statement may be outdated (per the bugs file in its module directory).

I'm packaging up FreeSWITCH for Arch Linux, which currently doesn't provide H323Plus. I could package up H323Plus for Arch, but if the project is inactive, I'm not sure if that's worthwhile.

Is it fair to see the H323Plus project as defunct? If so, do you think FreeSWITCH will end up deprecating/removing mod_h323 in favor of mod_opal? Or is mod_h323 currently favored over mod_opal for production-quality  H.323 support and thus important for a complete FreeSWITCH package to provide?

Also, I thought this was a more dev-focused question, so I tried posting to freeswitch-dev over a week ago. The auto-reply said it was a moderated list and the message was being held pending moderator approval. It said that either the message would get posted or I would be notified of the moderator's decision, but nothing ever happened. Did this message get stuck in the pending moderator approval list?

Thanks,

David