[Freeswitch-users] What are current best options for WebRTC between mobile and FreeSwitch

Oivvio Polite mylists at polite.se
Mon May 2 02:41:52 MSD 2016

I'm working on a project that will need desktop as well as mobile clients. On
the desktop side I'm using Electron[1].

On mobile I'm targeting Android and iOS but I haven't picked the development
tools yet. The mobile client is a lot simpler than the desktop and on recent
versions of Android I hope to get away with using Chrome.

But for older versions of Android and for iOS I'll need an app. My main
candidates there PhoneGap/Cordova[2] and React Native[3]. React Native seems to
have a lot of promise but PhoneGap has more of a track record and there
seems to be people actually using it in production for WebRTC. Since stability
is really important to this project I'm leaning towards PhoneGap/Cordova.

All of these tools use a Javascript runtime so I hope to be able to use
verto.js for my signalling regardless of what I choose.

But I'm curious about the experiences you folks have with these tools.

Oivvio

[1] http://electron.atom.io/
[2] https://webrtchacks.com/webrtc-hybrid-applications/
[3] https://webrtchacks.com/reacting-to-react-native-for-native-webrtc-apps-alexey-aylarov/