[Freeswitch-users] Stutter on ringtone - incoming calls only

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Sun Mar 6 00:04:30 MSK 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com> wrote:

> When people call in (via callcentric) - they hear a stutter in the
> ringtone.
>
> My understanding is that the ringtone is generated by freeswitch -  looks
> like here:

> <action application="set" data="transfer_ringback=${us-ring}"/>
>

> We are running the Debian release - 1.4.26~37-1~jessie+1
>
> Could be this is a new 'feature'? Never sure.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?
>
> I'm thinking the ringtone might be using a different CODEX?

You can be absolutely certain of what's happening by taking a pcap of the
SIP and RTP that are leaving the box when the call comes in from
Callcentric. Verify that you're sending a 183 w/SDP and that there's actual
early media leaving your system. If there is, analyze the RTP and see if
the stutter can be heard there. If it's PCMU then Wireshark is great for
this kind of thing. (Lots of info in Confluence on packet captures
<https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Packet+Capture> and
analysis
<https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Wireshark+How+To> if
you need a reference.)

The pcap analysis should at the very least help you narrow down where the
stutter is coming in to play and where to go next.

-MC