[Freeswitch-users] Jitsi + Freeswitch (and general questions about SFU)

Colin Morelli colin.morelli at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 23:26:00 MSD 2016

(Anthony, response to you is below Michael's response to consolidate
messages). Apologies in advance for the long reply - but love the
discussion.

Hey Michael,

It's not so much the number of clients that is problematic but rather the
difficulty of capacity planning when operations become increasingly more
expensive. It presses towards building a smaller number of very large FS
instances, over a smaller number of medium sized ones that you could get
away with for audio + network traffic. The system I'm building is
multi-tenant, and there's application code written around distributing
conferences across FS hosts. But say an FS host has 80% CPU, it's hard to
know in advance if a conference I'm about to place there will turn into a
10 person video chat or a 2 person audio chat. With an MCU approach,
there's a very real possibility that if 10 people join I exhaust CPU and
run into issues. Whereas with an SFU, there's much less risk of any one
conference pushing over that edge, because that 20% can still handle a
considerable number of clients. It just makes the capacity planning and
distribution process easier when a typical video conference consumes a very
small number of CPU resources.

As far as the second comment - I agree. Certain devices may be limited in
their processing power. But mobile devices are *also* limited in screen
real state, so there may not be an MCU layout that works well for a
combination of both mobile and desktop devices. With an SFU approach, you
could choose to receive all streams on the mobile device but only decode 2
or 3 of them (at the application's discretion), and lay them out in a way
that is optimal for that device. It wastes network bandwidth, but preserves
experience. You could do similar with a canvas per caller, but then you're
even further increasing the cost on the server.

In any case I'm not intending to argue that SFU is a better approach
generally (or argue at all for that matter), just trying to better
understand the required additions to FS to make it happen. With the
addition of mod_verto and full native WebRTC support, having an SFU
capability would allow FS to cater to the FaceTime/Hangouts/Skype types of
applications with highly customized (and hopefully optimized) experiences.

Anthony,

I agree that what I'm referring to would be little more than a replication
of what Jitsi does, but the "value add" would be having it baked directly
into mod_conference with no need to interface with another product. I'm
finding it hard to rationalize how I would get Jitsi Video Bridge working
with Freeswitch in a way that doesn't cause more problems than it solves -
and FS caters to far more use cases independently than Jitsi can. To
clarify, I'm not asking anyone here to contribute the code - rather just
looking for any pointers on what it might take. If SFU were to be added as
an exclusive *OR* with the current canvas muxing, is this a PR that the FS
would accept? Or is it a requirement that it be able to operate in a hybrid
MCU + SFU mode? I'm still not quite sure how useful that would be, though -
except in the cases of better supporting mobile (for which there are SFU
workarounds), or older devices that don't do multi-stream (seems unlikely
that these use cases would want SFU in the first place though).

Sorry again if I'm annoying anyone! I'm really just looking for the
dialog/hoping to learn more.

Best,
Colin

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLaDpGQuZDA