[Freeswitch-users] g729 patent expiration

Mimiko vbvbrj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 21:52:11 MSD 2016

On 03.08.2016 19:01, François wrote:
> Remember it was a big effort in time and money from FS devs to support
> this in the first place and we should be glad to have it available
> whatever the cost.
>
> We should also probably avoid mentioning patent validity/expiration or
> existing alternatives, otherwise it could cause a breach of contract and
> we could lose G.729 support altogether!!

Hello.

Yes, FS devs made a great software. Really.

Recently I started to administer a company's servers with asterisk. And
I see how FS is greatly compared to Asterisk. Works better and debugging
is easy. Lot of functions and features which in Asterisk are made using
different non-trivial methods, in FS are working very smoothly with just
incorporated functions. Unfortunately, moving VoIP to FS is not possible
because of lot of software designed specifically to work with Asterisk.

I would pay $10 for G729 to FS, but I don't have a FS server for me. FS
I manage is for company. The VoIP providers don't use G729 either. So
G729 is not used at all. But others use open source implementation of
this codec.

By the way, could FS be configured to show for each registered extension
or gateway using "show registrations" and "sofia status" to show last
ping value? Same like does "sip show peers" in Asterisk.

--
Mimiko desu.