[Freeswitch-users] How to dynamically set up conferences?

Piotr Starzyk pstarzyk at general-devices.com
Thu Apr 14 20:28:46 MSD 2016

Let’s say I have 3 SIP endpoints: Caller_A, Caller_B and Caller_C

Initially Caller_A calls Caller_B, so we end up with a SIP call between
them.

But now, there will be some cases, when Caller_A will want to ‘conference
in’ Caller_C into the call between Caller_A and Caller_B.

How is it normally done?  Based on my limited understanding of
mod_conference, I would attempt doing it as following:

Approach I:

Tear down the original call between A & B, and set up a conference between
A, B & C:

1.       Caller_A calls Caller_B

2.       SIP call is established between Caller_A and Caller_B.

3.       After a while Caller_A wants to conference in Caller_C, as
following:

a.       Caller_A hangs up the call with Caller_B

b.      Caller_A dials into a conference room.

c.       Caller_B dials into the same conference room.

d.      Caller_C dials into the same conference room.

4.       Caller_A, Caller_B and Caller_C are now in a conference.

Approach II:

Use conferences for all calls from the beginning, even the 2-way calls, to
make it easier to conference in additional callers:

1.       Caller_A dials into a conference room.

2.       Caller_B dials into a conference room.

3.       Calelr_A and Caller_B can now talk to each other.

4.       After a while Caller_A wants to conference in Caller_C

a.       Caller_C dials into the same conference room.

5.       Caller_A, Caller_B and Caller_C are now in a conference.

I’ve also read about eavesdrop tool, but I understand it only allows 3-way
communication, and I need to be able to support N-way.

Thanks.