[Freeswitch-users] FS priority

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Fri Sep 4 23:38:14 MSD 2015

Thanks for that. I was under the impression that systemd was throwing
FreeSWITCH into the generic scheduling group and starving it of resources
as a result, but when I manually ran ./freeswitch as root it still showed
the same values.

Running FS manually with -np yielded pri=20 nice=0 and System Monitor
reports priority "normal"

Running FS manually with -rp yielded pri=-2 nice=-10 and System Monitor
reports priority "very high", same results as when FS was started without
any priority switch on the command line.

BUT! When I start FS with systemd it maintains priority=-2 but nice all the
way down to 19 which is why System Monitor reports "very low". This happens
even with the -rp switch specified in the unit file.

I don't know how scheduling priority and nice level interact on Debian, but
it looks like I have a new research project for this weekend, assuming this
is truly something to be concerned about. Or is it?

Thanks for the tips. I will report my findings to the list if I discover
anything substantive.

Bote