[Freeswitch-users] FS LTS version

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 12:32:51 MSK 2015

The core developers at the moment simply do not have the resources for more
than two lines of "official" development:
- one has to be production, the one you use in servers
- one has to be development, the one that will be the next production

Because of effort put into allowong users time for transition, now the core
developers are maintaining three lines: 1.6 (production), 1.6
(development), 1.4 (old prodution).

As obvious, in a short time will be necessary for core developers to begin
working on next release (1.8).

Because resources are finite, is not possible to ask core developers for
maintaining an LTS as part of the community project.

On the contrary, I believe this LTS thing can be a source of revenue for a
maintainer, or a company.

Is a matter of taking care of security and bug fixes in a software version
you would not use, because is stale. Someone else is making money from
that version you would not use, and is asking you to help him milking.

I believe that if there is enough commercial, paying interest in an LTS, a
single maintainer or a company will step out to take care of it. Or maybe
this revenue stream can allow for the.core developers to hire someone for
this purpose.

Anyway, I believe that the key is showing a paying interest.

So, how to do it?

Crowfounding, kickstarter, etc... I'm not an expert, but those days I
believe is simple to assure there are money for a project.

-giovanni

sent from my mobile,
Giovanni Maruzzelli
cell: +39 347 266 56 18