[Freeswitch-users] Re-write of mod_vlc

Aqs Younas aqsyounas at gmail.com
Tue May 12 17:15:28 MSD 2015

Hi,

We are using mod_vlc for quite a long time for playing streams(urls) for
our radio application, which have more than 250 concurrent listeners.

Currently we are facing multiple issues while playing non mp3 streams (aac,
flv).

i) Freeswitch starts pooling ram untill our server is crashed due to ram
starving or we manually restart our freeswitch to release ram.So, most of
the time we manually restart freeswitch instances.
If we play only mp3 streams with mod_shout. Freeswitch ram pooling problem
is resolved. But we want to play streams other than mp3, that's why we are
using mod_vlc.

ii) AGC (Auto gain controller) some streams are higher in volume than
others.There are more than 1000 stream, daily new streams are being added
and old one deleted. So, we can't manually adjust their volumes by setting
channel variables.

iii) Couldn't play anything while mod_vlc is trying to buffer the stream.
(Please wait while we are trying to connect your requested radio)

So, I am here to ask is there any chance of re writing this module. Or any
modification in up coming freeswitch releases.

We are using FreeSWITCH Version 1.4.18~64bit ( 64bit) on Linux 66-226-75-55
3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.63-2+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Your replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks.