[Freeswitch-users] Security Issue

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Jan 15 07:19:07 MSK 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Ahmed Habiba <ahabiba at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you really David,
>
> Here is my point, the sip-trace in the first mail shows that, the call
> comes to public context mainly through port 5080, and however the
> originator IP was not defined in my ACL list Freeswitch continue to process
> the call for some reason.

Just an FYI, the external profile does not have auth-calls param set to
true, so FS simply tries to route the call in the public context without
sending back an auth challenge. Since the public context is pretty paranoid
it's not exactly easy to dial out. Also, just because FS tries to route the
call does not mean that FS considers the call to be "authenticated."

If you want all traffic coming in to your server to be authenticated then
either send it all to the internal profile (i.e. port 5060) or add
auth-calls to your external profile.

The bigger question you may want to ask is: why are these random IP even
getting to your server? Do you allow public access to your system? If so,
why? If not, then you need a firewall (iptables or whatnot) to block those
SIP messages from ever getting to your FreeSWITCH. You may also be
interested in something like fail2ban and voipbl.org.

-MC