[Freeswitch-users] How to measure QOS?

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:33:13 MSK 2015

I'd say QoS drops even more abruptly if you hit the bandwidth or
performance limits.

tshark, a text terminal version of Wireshark, can analyze the quality of
RTP streams and print a report that you can parse. Keep in mind that the
analysis itself is quite CPU-intensive, so what I usually do is collect the
RTP streams with tcpdump, and then run tshark in low-priority mode.

Here in scripts/ you can find a simple script that launches tshark and
analyses the output:
https://github.com/voxserv/voip_qos_probe

There is also a library for comparing WAV streams -- this would be the best
for QoS measurements, and you would also be able to get the PSTN path into
the test. But I didn't yet try it, as the customer was satisfied with RTP
analysis:
http://openpreservation.org/knowledge/blogs/2012/07/09/xcorrsound-waveform-compare-new-audio-quality-assurance-tool/
https://github.com/openpreserve/scape-xcorrsound

I hope this helps :)