[Freeswitch-users] SIP Proxy - Kamailio/Opens* load-balancing - simple example please?

Avi Marcus avi at avimarcus.net
Mon Feb 2 11:55:08 MSK 2015

Hi - I know this has come up several times and I see several examples even
on the old wiki - but I've never used a SIP proxy before, and I don't
understand most of the configuration in the examples.

Here's what I believe is a fairly common use case:

1) I have inbound calls via various carriers. Some only support an IP
endpoint (so DNS won't work) and some don't support 302 redirects, so I
can't use a stateless FS endpoint either, so I need a sip proxy.

2) I need a SIP proxy that will route calls to various FreeSWITCH endpoints.
(Preferably, it should route registration too (or manage registration list
itself?))

3) I need the ability to pull freeswitch nodes out of the routing (waiting
for them to drain is fine, I don't need failover of live calls) to perform
maintenance, and then add them back to the routing.

4) I should be able to have this proxy on a floating IP that I can move *this
*too, *without downtime*, for maintenance work.

I think this is mostly handled by the
<https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/OpenSIPS_configuration_for_2_or_more_FreeSWITCH_installs>
examples <http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/SBC_Setup> I
<https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Enterprise_deployment_OpenSIPS> found
<http://www.opensips.org/Documentation/Tutorials-OpenSIPSFreeSwitchIntegration>
- but the opensips configuration files are hundreds of lines that I don't
understand. If it's just routing calls to a backend, shouldn't that be
possible in a small numbers of lines that are more understandable?

I imagine someone can probably just point me to a tutorial/working code
that I can use. Several have been shared but I don't recall any one being
particularly simple... Also, most of them tell you about compiling code. FS
has been released in packages - has opensips? That might cut off many steps
from an updated tutorial.

Thanks!

-Avi Marcus