[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH vs Asterisk on Reddit...

Larry Morley lmorley at neny.cslimits.net
Wed Dec 16 23:57:27 MSK 2015

Regarding this portion of Ken's comment in particular:

"... people think that before there is Free in the name or that it is open
source, that the developers of the project are doing this for free. ..."

That attitude by no means applies to open source software alone; it's been
my experience that you'll most certainly find the same attitudes and
erroneous beliefs in play, in the realms of free works in general - e.g.,
free or public domain hardware, software, artwork, music, writing, circuit
designs. Those attitudes and beliefs are the reason why it's so uncommon
for companies to offer free phone based technical support anymore. They're
the reason why when you do find phone based tech support, or, for example,
report a trouble to a phone company, cable company, ITSP, etc., the
response you get is tiered. In the former, they know there's a good chance
that the real reason for the call is because the caller didn't want to
bother reading the documentation supplied with the product. Which, over
time, has resulted in less documentation being supplied with many products
- I've witnessed first hand "the bean counters" opting to not spend what
they would have in years past to hire technical writers, choosing instead
to have an intern or recent hire produce something the company can put in
the box.

I firmly believe these attitudes stem from a sense of entitlement. And a
belief on the part of some that their time, their problem, their existence,
is more important than anyone else's.

Fortunately, I also know that history is a cyclical beast, and that at some
point, the attitudes and fundamental beliefs of perhaps not everyone, but
at least of the greater society, will likely return, for a while at any
rate - for history is cyclical - to a point where, bearing in mind that
only a healthy, whole, grounded person has the ability to give of
themselves let alone anything with giving - people will tend to be far more
concerned with what they can contribute to others, both now and for
posterity - and will choose to act in accordance with their beliefs of
their own accord, their own free wills - than with what they themselves can
accumulate and with what others can do for them.

I welcome the arrival of that day.

Larry Morley

On Dec 16, 2015 01:20, "Ken Rice" <krice at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> That guy got cranky because he thought that the developers time was free…
For some reason people think that before there is Free in the name or that
it is open source, that the developers of the project are doing this for
free. We all have families to feed. Unlike some open source projects,
FreeSWITCH is not funded by millions of dollars of funding, every bit of
funding comes from people using FreeSWITCH and contracting the FreeSWITCH
Team to help them deploy, configure, or enhance the software. I can’t think
of anyone of the supporters that has wanted to keep any code additions out
of tree.

> So even if you don’t have a huge budget you can still help out Anthony,
Brian, Mike, Me, and William. Contact us, let us help with your project.
Sure, there may be a charge for that initial consultation, but it also
allows us to dedicate time with you to engineer a plan to help you reach
your goals.

> Want to send a little Christmas or Hanukkah gift to one of the
Developers? Visit https://freeswitch.org/core-team/, Our wishlists are
there.

> Want to but the dev’s dinner or something Similar? There’s a donate
button right on the website.

> Want to help in other ways?
>
> Join the Docs Team and help document things on Confluence. We still have
a several hundred pages on the old wiki that need to be clean up, updated
and migrated to Confluence.

> Help us sort thru the bugs and test patches and pull requests. Anyone can
comment on open tickets and add information… Want to be an official bug
marshall? Email me (krice at freeswitch.org) or brian at freeswitch.org off list
and we’ll help get you started.

> Join the FreeSWITCH Team via HipChat at https://hipchat.freeswitch.org/
hang out meet the devs and chat with other FreeSWITCH users.

freeswitch-users-bounces at lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of chris

https://www.reddit.com/r/freeswitch/comments/3o5acr/i_failed_with_freeswitch/