[Freeswitch-users] [!!Mass Mail]Re: Concurrent call in freeswitch

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at giagnocavo.net
Tue Dec 1 18:49:31 MSK 2015

TLDR; if FS is slow enough to cause financial strain, you need a new business model.

For a single number (and a few others have told me similar numbers), using dual socket Xeon 5400 systems (stock Dell whatevers), no tuning, using xml_cdr and xml_curl (for dialplan), we seemed to top out at around 500-1000 calls/sec, no media (on FS 1.2). I have personally seen a Q6600 running Windows inside Hyper-V do 500 sessions/sec on pre-1.2 (no media).

One tip: Run separate FS processes on their own IP; usually one FS process per couple of cores. There’s a few hotspots (event headers) that could be reworked with a bit of time (read: money) if you need faster signaling. For RTP, I don’t really know but people seem happy. And if RTP was a bottleneck, again, with some money you could get a kernel-bypass usermode RTP stack and attain happiness. Maybe.

But all the caveats listed below still apply. Generally FreeSWITCH is “fast enough” and servers are so cheap ($400 or so?) you can always toss another one in the mix so it doesn’t seem to bother most people in production unless you’re obsessed with perf for some reason.

-Michael