[Freeswitch-users] 183 automatically marks origination as success?

Avi Marcus avi at avimarcus.net
Thu Aug 20 15:37:36 MSD 2015

I have several carriers, and I use:
<action application="set" data="continue_on_fail=true"/>
... so I was a little surprised to see that a call that ended
with NORMAL_TEMPORARY_FAILURE didn't route advance.
I dug into the PCAPs of this and comparable, and the only difference I
noticed was that the ones that worked were invite -> 100 and then 503
NORMAL_TEMPORARY_FAILURE and the one that didn't work was invite -> 100,
183, and then 503.

I have a lua script that told me:

session:getVariable("originate_disposition")  = SUCCESS
session:getVariable("bridge_hangup_cause")  = NORMAL_TEMPORARY_FAILURE

so... I'm guessing that a 183 marks the originate as a success which is why
continue_on_fail didn't work, since it wasn't a fail.

Is this expected? Is the carrier "doing something wrong" here?

They did helpfully send: "SIP/2.0 503 Service Unavailable - Route Advance"
More importantly: how can I fix it?

Thanks,

-Avi Marcus
BestFone