[Freeswitch-users] using enable_heartbeat to detect network problems in event_socket

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 14:24:19 MSD 2015

it's not Java-specific really.

Imagine you have an open TCP connection that has no traffic, and
somewhere inbetween there's a network failure. You will only know
about it when you start sending the data, and the TCP timeout occurs.
You will get the socket error exception only after all retransmission
attempts failed, and that may take quite some significant time. If
ICMP is allowed in the network, some failures would generate ICMP
messages which will speed up the process, but you can't rely on this.

So, if you need to know about the failure quickly enough, you need to
monitor the server reachability with some connectionless protocol,
like ICMP echo or some UDP-based keepalive.

>>> http://confluence.freeswitch.org