[Freeswitch-users] Encoding for received faxes changed in Ruby-ESL library?

Peter Steinbach lists at telefaks.de
Fri Apr 17 00:55:35 MSD 2015

Hello,

we are receiving faxes via Freeswitch, and while receiving an ESL event
(hangup, rxfaxresult) we are storing the fax information into a database.

We have some problems with some special characaters there (German Umlauts).

While sending a Fax via Freeswitch and receiving via Freeswitch we
always have the following (correctly) encoded string in the Freeswitch
events, while grepping them on the network interface.
    variable_fax_ident: Mein-B%81ro
where %81 represents the germany character "ü".

But after evaluating this string in the Ruby(1.8) ESL library, this %81
is changed to mein-B%\3401ro, means "%81" is changed to "%\3401".

I have looked into the code, but could not find any encoding change.
Anybody has a hint, which encoding is used here, so we may encode it back?

--
With kind regards
Peter Steinbach

Telefaks Services GmbH