[Freeswitch-users] Delays on VirtualMachines vs baremetal

Markus Lindenberg markus.lindenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 13:37:18 MSD 2014

Hi Daniel,

I'm running FreeSWITCH on KVM (Debian 7 Guest / Proxmox hosts and RHEL 6
hosts) without problems, even conferences and softfax (stuff where I assume
timing is more critical) works very well. I exercised some caution when
configuring the VM though, I don't know if all those things are necessary,
best practice or even useful, but they result from some experience with
strange timing in VMs:

I have set up mod_timerfd, although I don't know if it's any different from
using enable-softtimer-timerfd in core:

freeswitch at default> show timer
type,name,ikey
timer,soft,CORE_SOFTTIMER_MODULE
timer,timerfd,mod_timerfd

My guest kernel supports linking the guest clock source to the host, so I
don't have any issues with clock drifting away and don't need NTP in the
guest. Maybe this also affects FreeSWITCH's ability to keep time?

root at freeswitch:~# cat
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
kvm-clock

On systems that don't need the CPU power, I make sure only one virtual CPU
exists and/or pin the guest CPUs to host CPUs.

Maybe the most useful thing to check is to switch the virtual NIC in KVM, I
usually try to use virtio where possible, but hat strange issues before
(like a DHCP Server VM not seeing DISCOVERs with virtio NIC while the same
VM with e1000 worked fine). So, maybe try to switch NIC type and see if it
helps. Currently I'm using FreeSWITCH on both e1000 and virtio without
issues.

Regards, Markus