[Freeswitch-users] Autopsy of GCC 4.6.3 compilation bug on Raspberry Pi (FS-6494 and FS-6524)

William King william.king at quentustech.com
Mon Jun 16 03:45:26 MSD 2014

This particular bug was pretty fickle. You could change a handful of
items in that block of code and the bug would not replicate(or at least
not in the same way). Building FreeSWITCH with GCC 4.7.2, which is the
latest version of gcc available on Raspbian, didn't replicate the same
issue.

I've now filed it against Raspbian as well:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian/+bug/1330270

Since the bug doesn't reproduce with 4.7.2, this particular issue is now
an educational exercise. A potential follow up would be to use a cross
compilation setup and git bisect between the RTL commits(of which there
are 206 between 4.6.3 and 4.7.2) and see if there is one that provides
more insight into the root cause.

Currently I don't think there are checks in the FreeSWITCH build system
that would bail on known bad architectures and compiler version
combinations.

After digging into this issue I'm now curious which compiler(and
version) the major distros are using to build the release packages.

Also it appears which gcc version used by default in Debian Wheezy
depends on the architecture: i386 and amd64 use 4.7 by default, while
all others use 4.6.

William King
Senior Engineer
Quentus Technologies, INC