[Freeswitch-users] Problems with RTP delay at around 300 concurrent calls

D D tru083 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 7 21:22:00 MSD 2014

Hi,

I would like to put 500 - 1000 calls into a FS system.

I have a Dell R900 server with these properties:

   8 processors at 2.40GHz

   8GB RAM
   Gigabit ethernet

I use sipp to send RTP streams.

I use the FS settings recommended here:
   https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Performance_testing_and_configurations
including the in-memory core.db.

I also have used the "-rp" and "-nosql" settings on the FS command-line, and
also used the "chrt" command to increase the priority to real-time.

In all cases, at around 300 concurrent calls, the RTP inter-packet delay becomes
unacceptably high.  The voice quality is severely impacted.

During the test, the CPU is not overloaded.  It is using only about 1.5 of the 8 processors.

Are these results expected?

Has anyone gone higher than 300 concurrent calls?

Is there anything else that I can do with configuration to improve throughput?

Thanks,
David