[Freeswitch-users] 1.4/master openssl requirement change.

Travis Cross tc at travislists.com
Wed Jan 29 23:24:19 MSK 2014

On 2014-01-29 19:13, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
> Was this a "made a change to a module somewhere that won't work without openssl 1.0.1e" or "build now mandates 1.0.1e
> and will complain/fail without it".
>
> If the former, what's the scope of won't work?
>
> If the latter, that knocks out compatibility with quite a few older distros, including anyone running RHEL/CentOS
> 5/Fedora 17/OpenSUSE 11/...

FreeSWITCH v1.2 will continue to work fine on those older
distributions.  Which makes a certain degree of sense.  If someone is
running an ancient OS they probably shouldn't be running our very
latest code.  In addition to the obvious reasons, we're simply not
testing newer code in that environment.  So it would be a mistake to
encourage people to run that combination.

And if someone really wants to run CentOS 5 forever with WebRTC
support, then that person or group can package a newer OpenSSL version
for CentOS.  I'm sure Ken would be happy to host that in our CentOS
repo.