[Freeswitch-users] Strangely High CPU Usage on Idle FS server

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 00:00:00 MSK 2014

First get updated to latest before troubleshooting any problems.

If you still have a similar observation lookup how to get a gcore and a
backtrace on the wiki.
Then run:

top -p `cat /usr/local/freeswitch/run/freeswitch.pid` -H

Look for individual pids with high cpu usage.

dump gcore and get a backtrace with info threads, and thread apply all bt.

Use the data to see the thread with the matching pid and report it to jira
http://jira.freeswitch.org

Doing it on the existing older version won't help because we do not
maintain previous minor releases.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:37 AM, Anthony Matejcich B.Com
<info at ozetel.com.au>wrote:

>  HI guys
>
> Relatively new to the FS world and have exhausted research online.
>
> Running FS
> FreeSWITCH Version 1.2.10+git~20130624T024915Z~8fd4994b0c (git 8fd4994
> 2013-06-24 02:49:15Z)
> On VMWare virtual machine with Debian6 and specs of 2 CPU with 1 GB RAM,
> 50GB storage
>
> Currently only running one client with very very low call usage until we
> have tested the FS server. Total of 30 calls and day
> maximum and basically only running a simple IVR set up with 7 digit
> keypress prior to sending to Lua script for a simple calculation
> and then delivery to mobile or landline in Australia.
>
> System has been great for 6 months but issue arose around the 13th Dec 13
> - dmtf entries are being duplicated. A single kepyress
> appears to register 2 of the same digit and is recorded as such in the CLI
> notes. Only happens about 50% of the time. Added a CPU to the mix
> and it may have assisted with this becoming about 30% of the time showing
> the issue now. But that seems crazy to require CPU's given it
> is such a small set up.
>
> Reviews showed high CPU Usage via top command information. CPU usage for
> the FS process is sitting between 14 and 22%!
> (constantly fluctuating) For the idle machine/with no calls coming in.
> Thus %wa is fluctuating between 1 and 8% constantly.
>
> There is no load on the server - but we did look at master logs and update
> core.db to the default     <param name="core-db-name"
> value="/dev/shm/core.db" />
>
> Very strange given the success over the first 6 months.
>
> Can anyone help please with information or where to go? Would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Anthony

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org

Anthony Minessale II       ♬ @anthmfs  ♬ @FreeSWITCH  ♬