[Freeswitch-users] Questions before starting new install

Allison Walters AWalters at cawst.org
Tue Dec 2 02:50:32 MSK 2014

We're wanting to replace our current freeswitch server (it's fairly old), and I have a few things I'm curious about before I start trying to build the new one.  I inherited the current one and am relatively unfamiliar to all of this, so I appreciate your patience.

1.       I was told by the consultant that set up the current box that freeswitch doesn't play well with fusionpbx or really any of the GUI's - there have been instances (and indeed one happened a couple of months ago while I was here) of the config files getting randomly overwritten with old settings, which supposedly is the fault of trying to run fusion.  Also I was told it doesn't provide nice clean XML, etc...  I was strongly encouraged to go with no GUI.  If it were just me, I'd be okay with that, but we have a couple of other people who might be helping to maintain the server and they're far more comfortable with GUIs.  Has anyone else had any of these issues, and/or have any recommendations on the subject?

2.       I'm trying to install on Ubuntu.  When I go to the wiki, I get this page:  https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Linux , which just gives an apt-get line for Ubuntu.  However, that line just seems to have pre-reqs and not freeswitch itself.  Anyone know where I could find current Ubuntu instructions?  I googled but the most recent pages I could find were from 2012, and most were from 2011.  Is that the most up to date?

3.       Are there any guidelines for migration from an old server running an old version to a new server with a current version?

Thank you!

--
Allison Walters
IT Coordinator

Join us in reaching 20 million people by 2020 with safe drinking water and sanitation.