[Freeswitch-users] Commit message usefullness

Nathan Neulinger nneul at mst.edu
Mon Sep 16 01:17:02 MSD 2013

I wonder if something like this would address much of his concern:

-------------------
Addition to post commit hook:
generate a branch-specific text file/web page/whatever sequentially listing each commit and message
If the commit references a jira issue, include the 'description' field.
Interspersed in that file would be section headers/highlights for any revision that directly corresponded to a full
release as tagged by 'git tag'.

It's not going to help for a plain 'git log' - that's a fundamental limitation of git unless you make it extra work for
devs on every commit - but would at least provide a readily accessible "low level changelog" that would show all of the
changes along with more detail of the change than just the jira issue number.

At the same time, we don't do a release notes field in Jira - if that were enabled, and if if any release notes were
provided in Jira issues - could highlight those in the same place as the expanded issue description.

-- Nathan