[Freeswitch-users] Commit message usefullness

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Sep 13 15:41:44 MSD 2013

Hi,

just a quick note - For a customer of us i was looking throught the
commit messages of FreeSwitch because we suspected a bug in freeswitch.

I immediatly stumbled upon commit messages like "oops", "doh" or "bump".

Basically most of the commit logs were useless.

One could track messages like "FS-5731 --resolve" by looking at the Jira
but that would be very time consuming to look up every single bug.

Finally i went for grepping through commits touching certain files
and using "git blame" to find commits.

This message is just for highlighting that commit messages are important
and IMHO should contain more informations than a "Bug ID" which may be
transitional - one day FreeSwitch might use Jira+1 and all bugs are gone
and those references will be just as useless as a random number.

Flo