[Freeswitch-users] Debian repository out of date

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 01:10:45 MSD 2013

I think Michael and Karl are talking across each other a little here.
Michael is talking about getting FS' modifications to dependencies upstream
and moving away from forked versions. Karl is talking about the benefits of
being in distro package repos. These are different but related (as in one
appears to be dependent on the other).

As for the issue of backporting fixes to old releases of Debian: part of
what I like about the FS project is its balancing of development velocity
and stability. Sometimes the project gets this wrong: the versioning scheme
having questionable (if any) semantic value, no automated integration
testing (to my knowledge), etc, I think overall FS gets very close to
striking the right balance between getting things fixed quickly and not
being too difficult to upgrade safely. This is something Asterisk gets
wrong by obsessing about maintaining bugs (such as DTMF keypresses killing
a bridge...) and calling it "backward compatibility".

While some extra safeguards for true BC would be nice (SemVer, testing), I
don't think supporting versions several years old would be a good thing for
the open source community. Of course, if someone were to package
"FreeSWITCH LTS", I'm sure there would be a market for it, but this isn't
something I think the core team should be fretting over at the cost of core
development effort.