[Freeswitch-users] UK SIP Trunk providers

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 17:09:49 MSK 2013

Hi Cal,

Gavin here. I'm the MD of SureVoIP and would like to correct some of below:

> Let's be clear on definitions here;
>
> BT, Kingston - Top of the food chain, only financially viable for those with lots of cash and traffic

Correct. The UK Telecom Incumbents. But don't forgot the each have
"Retail", "Business" and "Wholesale" divisions.

> Magrathea, Simwood, Gamma  - Designed for wholesale, scalable to many millions of minutes per month.

Correct. They each have their own SS7 platforms connected in the UK
PSTN, SIP platforms and are IP network operators (have their own AS
number, members of RIPE, members of LINX, Ofcom number allocations and
other Internet Exchange Points). Same applies to the companies above.

> SipGate, SureVoip, Gradwell, GBC - These providers are designed for consumers, only necessary if you are not running your own equipment

These are not just for consumers. They may offer retail but are mainly
for business, as SureVoIP is. When talking about consumers I would
talk about Vonage etc.

SureVoIP (us) have our own SIP platforms (FreeSWITCH, OpenSIPS etc.)
and are IP network operators (AS199659) members of RIPE, members of
LINX, Ofcom number allocation holders:

https://www.linx.net/about/memberlist/letter/S

We don't have hardware based SIP platforms like the level above us do
(Magrathea, Simwood, Gamma) as we don't do as many minutes as them and
aren't wholesale. In fact, the first two are two of our carriers as
well as BT Wholesale.

You can only get accounts with them if you are selling onwards to
business or retail, so bear that in mind.

> NumberGroup, Sol4 - they are essentially a reseller aggregate, or to be more blunt, an unnecessary middleman

Can't comment. Look at what I've described above to make your own mind up.

> If someone is running their own switch, why would you want to go with a consumer grade service which not only limits your CLI capabilities, but also increases complexity, affects latency and inflates call rates. Likewise, why would you go through a middleman when you could just go direct to the supplier with no minimum spend on outbound traffic? Though typically inbound does require a small min spend of around £50/month (which is tiny in comparison with VoxBone who charge a min spend of around £600/month [needs clarification]), which is really the only valid reason (that I can think of right now) to go with any of these reseller aggregates.

You'd do this because you are not selling on the minutes. If you are a
business user you can't sign up to the wholesale guys. That's the
point of wholesale. Make up your own mind and look for an API :-)

Thanks,

Gavin.

--
http://www.surevoip.co.uk