[Freeswitch-users] Audio quality issues

Grant Bagdasarian GB at cm.nl
Tue Oct 22 12:14:31 MSD 2013

Hello,

I was wondering what the maximum concurrent calls for FS before audio quality becomes an issue? I assume the specs of the machine would also affect this.
We are currently running FS on a Six Core (12 Threads) Intel E5-2430 CPU and get about 800 concurrent calls at 10-20 CPS. The audio quality at these rates is still fair, but we do notice some quality issue's.
Going above these numbers screws up the audio quality: choppy sound, audio drops etc. We aren't doing any heavy media processing, just simply playing a file (G711-Alaw) which lasts about 2 minutes during the load test.
These numbers are for one way audio, where Sipp doesn't echo the RTP back. These numbers get lower once Sipp echo's the RTP.

I've tried FS on a physical box and also on a virtual box (ESXi 5.1), but the performance gain on physical vs virtual isn't that much.

I disabled all the modules we don't need, like CDR's, conferencing, etc.

Are there any parameters(config files)/modules that can affect the quality of the audio stream?

Regards,

Grant