[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch Hardware

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Wed Oct 16 05:36:22 MSD 2013

That depends :)

Some people choose to have just one box for their phone system, sat in a
small rack in an office somewhere. Others may have a whole rack inside a
single data center. And some might even have dual site redundancy too.

You need to ask yourself, what is your end goal? Can you handle
downtime/outages, if so how long? Do you have a budget in mind? Are you
going to be building this solution yourself? How many concurrent calls are
you expecting to have within the first 3 months? Do you have the
appropriate IP transit to handle that traffic?

For example, for just phone switch alone you could have two beefy machines
in HA but what happens is the power goes down? Do you have A/B power feeds?
How about if the rack power bar dies? How about if the switching gear for
both racks die because they are on the same aggregate? If the RAID dies,
how long would it take to re-build? If there was damage which caused perm
data loss on both servers, how would you get up and running again quickly?
How long would it take to restore block snapshots of the disk? Would that
backup storage be in the same data center? What if the entire data center
went down? If you have dual data centers, how do you handle IP fail over?
Multi homed BGP isn't going to be instant, DNS fail over sucks, and any
load balancer would introduce a single point of failure. How about if
something in FS HA caused both servers to crash, due to a bug, could you
handle that outage? How about if FS refused to start, would you have
appropriate resources? Does the system need to be running 24/7? Who will
handle the outage alarms at 3am? How will you monitor the system? The
server could be up, but not handling calls properly. This is just a small
subset of things you need to consider when building these solutions, in
reality there are literally hundreds. Where do you draw the line and say
"this is acceptable", this is only something you can decide based on the
product you are selling.

If you are serious about this and want a quick ROI, then you could perhaps
approach consulting at freeswitch.org and ask for architectural design advice,
you will then have a core developer from FS giving you recommendations
based on your requirements. If you are doing this for learning experience,
then you'll need about 1 year to train yourself into being able to support
FS in production (based on my own experience - results may differ).

Hope this helps - perhaps others might chime in with their thoughts as well.

Cal