[Freeswitch-users] recommendations for Wifi SIP phones?

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Fri Oct 11 06:19:10 MSD 2013

A few more notes:

It appears that Skype and Google voice work well enough over wifi - but not SIP. So I'm starting to
think that the SIP protocol stack is the problem?

There are other standards - Most are proprietary, but it looks like jingle is on a BSD licenses.

I can't seem to find anything that mentions the license of IAX2 ?? There are some softphones that
support IAX2.  Mod Opal lets freeswitch talk via IAX2 - I don't know if it is working? If anyone has
tested a IAX2/freeswitch/wifi combination - I would be quite interested in the results.

Squinting into the future - the question is if the new wifi standard  802.11ac or a move beyond SIP
will be the solution to VoIP/wifi

It does look like 802.11ac has addressed some latency issues with MU-MIMO, but I've been unable to
find any real-world numbers. This is a complex new standard that will take a while to get debugged
and bench marked.  Could be that any wifi that has more than one connection will glitch audio - and
MU-MIMO could fix that.

Right now it still looks like a SIP world that we live in..

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Prosperity is the best protector of principle. -- Mark Twain