[Freeswitch-users] Creating a rss reading solution using mod rss and espeak?

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 20:10:41 MSD 2013

Hi all,

Warning, this is not a telephony question per se but yes, it does involve
the use of freeswitch.
I have an octogenarian grandmother. She has a hard time entertaining herself
so I want to build a newspaper reading solution using freeswitch. The
advantage of using freeswitch is that she is familiar with a phone so can
dial in and work the phone keypad. I plan to give her a tablet with a voice
over IP application so that she can hit the phone keys and use it
independently. Yes, I know this is iffy but it is the best I can do right
now.
Most of our local newspapers do have rss feeds so I am planning to use mod
rss. The wiki suggests I use mod_cepstral. My grandmother finds it easier to
communicate in Hindi. I did not see a cepstral voice for Hindi hence I want
to use espeak. My questions are as follows.
1. Can I use espeak with mod rss? If so what are the steps for doing so?
2. I see the java script at http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_rss which
pulls the rss feed. Does anyone have an example where multiple feeds are
rendered through freeswitch?

Note:
I already have freeswitch compiled and running on my raspberry pi.

Suggestions are welcome.
Pranav