[Freeswitch-users] Documentation - fax_ident and fax_header

Ali Pey alipey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 23:43:34 MSD 2013

Hello,

I noticed that the wiki is not correct when it comes to fax_ident and
fax_header:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_spandsp#By_mod_spandsp_fax.c

- fax_ident - fax identity (numeric only) shown on remote machine during
communication. Also may be printed on each page.
- fax_header - fax identity (alpha-numeric) show on remote machine during
communication. Also may be printed on each page.

Fax_ident is the Caller's Station ID (CSID) that can be alpha numeric as
well. Fax_header would be used to add a header on top of each page on send.

I would be more than happy to fix the wiki page, but not sure what the
protocol is. I did try to register to be able to edit the page but never
got a password.

I found the proper explanation on the mailing list from Steve Underwood:

> fax_ident should be set to the telephone number to be used within the
> fax exchange. This will typically appear on an LCD display at the far
> end. In theory it should be limited to digits, spaces, + and one or two
> other characters appropriate to telephone numbers. In practice FAX
> machines are usually happy with any text, up to 20 characters. This
> string may also play a part in page headers.
>
> If fax_header is set to a non-null string, a header line will be
> inserted at the start of each page, just like a typical FAX machine
> does. The fax_ident, fax_header and the page number will be used to form
> the text of this line. If you are forwarding FAXes, you probably don't
> want to add a header line, as there will already be one that was
> inserted by the original source. If you are sending a locally generated
> FAX, you probably do want to add header lines to each page.

Regards,
Ali Pey