[Freeswitch-users] Best performing codec on mobile/slow networks

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri May 24 15:44:41 MSD 2013

On 05/24/2013 05:50 PM, Daniel Ivanov wrote:
> I've officially given up on AMR, due to it's licensing issues and
> sketchy supports for my mobile clients. I am looking for new options
> now as CsipSimple has a new codec pack supporting G.726.1, opus and
> codec2. Which do you think would perform best on mobile networks? And
> which has FS support for transcoding as well?

I think you means G.722.1 and G.726, rather than G.726.

G.726 is narrowband and fairly high bit rate. Its not the greatest
choice when you have packet loss.
G.722.1 is wideband and fairly high bit rate. Its not the greatest
choice when you have packet loss.
codec2 is very low bit rate, which is good for some mobile users. The
quality is good for the bit rate, but you can't expect high quality at
such low bit rates.
opus has lots of choices to trade off quality and bit rate. Its rather
new, so not that widely supported, but it should become big over the
next year or two.

Steve