[Freeswitch-users] UUID - how unique is it?

Yossi Neiman mishehu at freeswitch.org
Mon May 20 23:39:47 MSD 2013

RE: the per session uuid:  I've looked at the code recently, and I
already don't recall the exact details.  :-)  However, if you have
libuuid installed, it (apr and/or apr-util) defaults to using libuuid's
functions and acts as nothing more than a shim.  I think part of the
computation is based upon /dev/urandom and part on the timestamp and
possibly a counter, but I might be merging things in my head incorrectly
as that might be the non-libuuid segment of the code...  It's highly
random, but as with any finite set, there is always a remote possibility
of a collision.

The FS core UUID is instantiated at start-up of FS, so every time FS is
restarted, it gets a new FS core UUID.

-Yossi