[Freeswitch-users] TCP vs UDP SIP

Jeff Leung jleung at v10networks.ca
Wed May 8 20:51:02 MSD 2013

> -----Original Message-----
> From: freeswitch-users-bounces at lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-
> users-bounces at lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Vik Killa
> Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:18 AM
> To: FreeSWITCH Users Help
> Subject: Re: [Freeswitch-users] TCP vs UDP SIP

That I would agree with, but the thing is you lose the capability of
failover in the unlikely event that a node in a FreeSWITCH cluster fail.

> In my opinion, TCP seems better than UDP as you know all the SIP packets
> are making to their destination.
>
> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Jeff Leung <jleung at v10networks.ca>
> wrote:
>

> 	On a Linux system there is a limit of how many open TCP connections
> you have.

If I can remember correctly, I think Darren from 2600hz did discuss about
the limit of open TCP connections you can have on a Linux system. Correct me
if I'm wrong on this, but that seems to be the case. And I have seen
instances of that happening on a misconfigured Squid Proxy

> I never heard this before...where and how it this limit defined?
>

> 	Unless you have a crazy amount of endpoints you have to serve, TCP
> probably isn't really worth it in my opinion.

Assuming it's one Open TCP connection per endpoint,  you'd probably need
more endpoints than the maximum amount of open TCP connections to hit that
problem