[Freeswitch-users] TCP vs UDP SIP

Spencer Thomason spencer at 5ninesolutions.com
Wed May 8 19:30:59 MSD 2013

Hello all,
In our deployments, Freeswitch is on a public IP with most user endpoints
behind NAT.  As the demand for BLFs has grown I've been forced to go to TCP
due the NOTIFYs exceeding MTU. I've been reluctant to use TCP for SIP due to
the increased overhead.  Currently I force a registration expiry of 600
seconds and ping all NATed endpoints.  I'm exploring the idea of switching
all endpoints to TCP where available, ditching the options pings and
dropping the registration expiration to 300 secs which should exceed the TCP
connection timeout of almost every router I've seen.  I was currious if
anyone had an experience or could point out any caveats I might run into.

Thanks in advance,
Spencer